Tuesday 4 September 2012

August Rush


Changing jobs into a different industry while still being able to draw from your past experience is delightful yet at the same time absolutely petrifying.   I cannot begin to describe the feelings of inappropriateness that goes along with it.  But also…I cannot deny the vast amount of learning and growth that happens as well. 

Someone introduced me to a thought last week that changed my outlook on my experience completely…the question posed was “What are you doing to feel uncomfortable?”  My first response….what sane person would actually strive to be uncomfortable?  Who wants to have that jittery sense of the unknown lurking around every corner?  What madness is this?

When I thought about this a bit more, I realized what it was all about.  You see, the human mind is an intricate thing.  In order for it to grow, it needs to be stimulated.  We see it from a young age, giving kids things to play with...their young minds figure things out so quickly, unafraid to try something new.  Yet, as we get older, we become afraid, scared to take chances, to try new things, to be bold.  Our minds slow, we become comfortable with our surroundings, life is chilled, bru. 

I’ve been there, thinking to myself why should I have this constant rush of life around me, why should life be lived on your toes, why can’t I just be comfortable.
 

Because my dear friends, learning cannot occur without reflection.  Reflection cannot take place if you never put yourself in a situation where your experiences can be called upon to save the day.  Without these stimuli, the mind shrivels, without action, it is merely words.  People are so much more capable than what they give themselves credit for.  The only way to figure this out is to get out there, make a change and jump.

I don’t think anybody has ever been comfortable jumping off a bridge to do a bungee-dive, but I don’t think I have ever seen someone come off one without a smile on their face.

Till next time
X

No comments:

Post a Comment